Thursday, October 29, 2009

Debra Medina and her fight for freedom


Yesterday, I had the opportunity to hear Governor-hopeful Debra Medina speak here on The University of Texas campus. As my PR317 group is focusing on the Texas Governor's Race, I saw this as a great opportunity to bring some important information to the group. More importantly, I saw this as an opportunity to become a more informed voter as previously, I had not known very much about her.

After listening to Medina speak yesterday, I have come to the conclusion that I have never met anyone who is as big an advocate of limited government as she. (That could be in part because I have not had the chance to hear very many politicians speak, more specifically, Republican politicians.) Either way, every point and every argument Medina made, fell back on the idea of limited government.

Medina's campaign stresses the idea of freedom; the freedoms that are granted to all American citizens by the U.S. Constitution as well as the freedoms of each state.

In her speech, Medina insisted that there are two things that keep men free: private property ownership, and gun ownership. She feels that if these two rights are taken away, we have completely been over-ruled by the government. She promised that if she were elected governor, securing these two freedoms would be on her list of priorities.

As far as states' freedoms, Medina talked about how the government is controlling such things as our "independent school districts," and that these school districts should be just that, independent. She brought up the point that the demands of each community are different, and that school districts should be able to adjust to those demands. For example, she lives in a rural area, where most young men end up working on farms. She feels that the school district should be able to implement classes to help them learn how to fix tractors and other machines, rather than making them take a class like theater that will not benefit them in the same way it might benefit a student in New York. She also feels strongly that the hospital system in Texas is outstanding and that we do not need the government telling us how to run it. Basically, her mentality is, if it's not broken, don't fix it.

As I myself have been struggling on taking a position regarding the issue of healthcare, as well as other controversial issues, one point that she made during her speech that I could really appreciate was: When you provide things for free and when you take away things that a person works for, that person is inclined to become lazy; even more sadly, you take away their hopes and dreams. People need an incentive to work, and in this case, that incentive is healthcare.

Although I have not found one candidate that I feel very strongly about, I am greatful that The University of Texas provided me with the opportunity to hear Debra Medina speak, and to become a more informed voter. I might not have otherwise gotten the chance to hear her views firsthand without all the twisting, changing and fabricating of information that comes with politics.

2 comments:

  1. She has some interesting viewpoints, for sure. While I understand the desire to retain true independence in our school districts, I have to wonder if giving them too much freedom would perpetuate the problem of disparate education, continuing to place rural students and minorities at an educational disadvantage. We have to make sure all schools are keeping up to the same standards. I grew up in a rural area, and I can attest to the fact that most country guys hate theater class, but I still feel like they need it. It's often the only exposure to the fine arts that they ever get. But I do believe we also have to keep funding vocational/agricultural programs (like one I was in that taught us to cut wood, hunt, and weld) instead of cutting them like many schools are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Medina's ideas lean towards Ron Paul's beliefs. I feel that her strong view points will win over some voters but alienate many as well. She constantly claims that the federal government has too much control over Texas. I wonder if she is doing this to point out how Rick Perry is slacking in his governor duties. Even with this maybe being an indirect hit to Rick Perry her adherence to such strong views are very striking and set her apart from the norm. Like you Nicole, I am struggling to take a side with Medina, Perry, and Hutchison's views.

    ReplyDelete